Friday, July 29, 2011

blindSide prologue: 7/29/11 Albert -> JW

The JW part of this story began on the 12th of July 2011 when I was inspired to buy a new bible and a card for JW the older brother of a miscreant friend of mine whose sister was a flight nurse I had worked with in the early nineties.

Perhaps I should supply a little background information about myself with a story from my past to get everyone oriented with where I am coming from in all of this. Then there is much to write to get caught up with the current moment and continuing saga of JW and Robar.

I was born again in 1978 near the tail end of my six years of active duty military service as an Army Aviator. My whole life changed because of that born again event which set the stage for my personal fig tree experience.

In 1981 I did my first semester in college at LSU in Baton Rouge. I rented an apartment within walking distance to campus. The property was really more like a project than an apartment complex since it was 80% black and only 20% white. It was during this period of time the Lord put me through my personal "fig tree experience":
And He began telling this parable: “A man had a fig tree which had been planted in his vineyard; and he came looking for fruit on it and did not find any. “And he said to the vineyard-keeper, ‘Behold, for three years I have come looking for fruit on this fig tree without finding any. Cut it down! Why does it even use up the ground?’ “And he answered and said to him, ‘Let it alone, sir, for this year too, until I dig around it and put in fertilizer; and if it bears fruit next year, fine; but if not, cut it down.’” Luke 13:6-9


As part of the fertilizing process for my fig tree experience I went to David Diamond's church in Baton Rouge and I attended a bible study of true believers and diligent seekers of our Lord Jesus.

One evening upon returning to my apartment after church and bible study I felt the Lord tell me to tuck my bible under my arm and head out into the project's parking lot to see what I might find. I found a group of black men surrounding what appeared to be an old man who was the cynosure of their attention, and it seemed they were antagonizing the old man for some unknown reason. I felt the Lord tell me that I needed to talk to this old man, so I told him, "I need to talk to you." Then I felt the Lord tell me that I needed to take him to my apartment where we could speak quietly, so I told him, "You need to follow me." I then turned and headed back to my apartment. He followed me like an obedient child.

I would come to find out that his name was Albert, and at the age of 18 he was a scrapping bad big black buck always getting into fights and trouble, so they took him and placed him into the State Psychiatric Hospital in Jackson Louisiana for 10 years and broke him down with drugs.

Albert sat quietly looking around my apartment with amazement that a white boy would let him into his apartment. Then Albert said with a slow stutter, "You mean I can have something to drink?"

I said, "Yeah, if you're thirsty? I have lemonade or tea, what would you like?"

Albert said, "lemonade". He took the glass after I filled it with lemonade and slowly sipped it as he continued to look around in amazement. As Albert drank the glass down to half empty he asked me the next question, "you mean I can have something to eat?"

I said, "Yeah, if you're hungary." I cooked him up some eggs and grits.

As Albert cleaned his plate he then laid THE BIG QUESTION on me, "you mean I can stay here?"

I said not out loud, but in my mind: "Wait a minute Lord! You told me to talk to the man; not give him a place to live!"

Then I clearly felt the Lord bring to mind James 2:15&16: "If a brother or sister is without clothing and in need of daily food, and one of you says to them, “Go in peace, be warmed and be filled,” and yet you do not give them what is necessary for their body, what use is that? " I believe the Lord was using Albert to test my heart and see if I was serious about being useful to the Lord and ready for every good work.

I looked at Albert and said, "Well I guess if you really need a place to stay, you can stay on my couch." So Albert stayed with me for the next two weeks. I took him to David Diamond's church and bible study. I watched Albert improve during the two weeks he stayed with me and I also accumulated some interesting stories.


There are some more stories during that time, but one I’ll share now is when Smitty (my best high school buddy) showed up to spend the night.

Albert realized Smitty was going to stay the night. Previously he respected the space of my bedroom and never went back there, but this time he immediately went into my bedroom where I was.

He asked, “Da, Dav, David, that white boy gonna stay here tonight.”

I looked at Albert and said, “Yeah.”

He thought about that a moment and then continued, “W…well, he’s not gonna sleep on my couch! Is he?”

Man, I didn’t want to get in the middle of that. Smitty was like the king dog. He required the best that was reasonably available. He had to have the best chair… etc. He did respect my bedroom. I didn’t have to give that up for him, cause that could have been something necessary to fight over in order to save face. Anyhow, I looked at Albert and said, “If you don’t want him to have your couch, just tell him.”

He thought about that a bit. Then he said, “Okay, I will”.

He then left my bedroom to go and accost Smitty.

He began, “Hey white boy, y…you gonna stay here tonight?”

Smitty looked at Albert with extreme skepticism. Albert’s story was that when he was eighteen he was a fighting bad buck; always getting into fights. They took him and locked him up into Jackson the Louisiana mental hospital for ten years and broke him down with drugs. Albert hadn’t been released for too long when I found him. He looked older than he was.

Smitty looked at Albert and said, “Yeah.”

Albert said, “W…well, you’re not gonna sleep on MY couch, are you?”

Smitty looked at the couch, then he looked at Albert and said, “No.”

Smitty slept on the floor. I was amazed. Later Smitty told me, “RowBear! You’re crazy. That man will kill you in your sleep.”

I just smiled. The Lord had already told me all I needed to know about Albert. In all honesty I had more to fear from Smitty who was on the tail end of an 8 year cocaine dealing career.



Don't let any of these stories scare you from seeking Jesus with all your heart. He is a perfect gentleman and will not give you more than you can handle. Nor will He force you to do anything you don't want to do. Along with the Father, He also is the potter while we are the clay. Each of us are unique and are shaped by our personal life experiences to be useful in the manner our Lord desires when we present ourselves available for His use. It seems I'm privileged to "ATTEMPT" to attack some hard cases. I say "ATTEMPT" because I don't know what the final outcome will be, but I am excited and, as much as I hate "expectations", I am expecting good things to follow as the Lord does the work and I present myself obedient and ready.

JW's story is far from over. He is on baby legs as far as seeking the Lord to assist him with the help he genuinely needs. I will work on catching us up to the current moment and will try to keep you informed as JW's Saga continue's to unfold.

No comments:

Post a Comment